Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What Is a Deacon Anyway?


In trying to better understand my role as a deacon at our church, I have been studying about what a deacon is, what a deacon does, and what a deacon should be doing in our current cultural context. I have to say I have been surprised in my finding in the text of Scripture. Here are some general thoughts to start with....

I have been asking people as of late what their understanding is, of the office of a deacon? To no surprise they answer something like "To take care of the widows and poor people in the church" "To help lead the church" "To pass the offering plates." These few answers sum up what I believe is most peoples understanding is of the office. I guess if I were to be honest, I thought the same thing myself up until recently.

Let's look at Acts 6 for a closer look at the earliest form of the office.

1In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the Grecian Jews among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food. 2So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, "It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. 3Brothers, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them 4and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word."

The question I kept asking myself from this passage is "Why were these men selected?" I also kept answering it in the context of the widows, but upon further study it becomes clear that these men were not selected just to feed widows, these men were selected to take pressure off of the Elders so they could better devote themselves to the Word and Prayer. Yes, the immediate context of what was taking the Elders away from the Word and Prayer was the feeding of the widows. It is important though to realize that these men were not created with the purpose of waiting on tables. These men were selected to give more time for the Elders to be in the Word. I believe this is a very important distinction, because it lays out cross-culturally what the deacons are to be doing in each generation and in each culture.

One reason I wrestled so much with the issue is due to our lack of "widows" in the modern day US church. The original church did not have medicine like we have. Men were working far more than women. If and when the man died, the women had nothing to support them (especially if they had no family. (I Timothy 5:
16 If any woman who is a believer has widows in her family, she should help them and not let the church be burdened with them, so that the church can help those widows who are really in need.). These widows were not remarrying like our widows do in our culture. With all of that said, it is easy to see why widows were such a focus to the early church. Now as i look at our churches, we don't have the same issue (as much). The office cannot be centered around the widows. There is clearly more to the office.


4 comments:

Mike Osborne said...

Jones,
I have been wrestling with the whole "Word and prayer" thing as derived from Acts 6. It was not the Elders there, so much as it was the Apostles. I want to guard myself against the concept of not being a 'servant' b/c I am hiding behind the smoke-screen of supposedly committed to the word and prayer.

Having said that I think that deacons function as servant-leaders who function to accomplish mega-tasks that if carried out by the apostle/elder (I am not arguing for present apostles, except for C.J.) would be too time consuming. Therefore, I believe we should challenge our deacons to take on mega service tasks, and lead the people in them. I also believe that elders could participate in these tasks, but the tasks are primarily led by deacons. Maybe some food for thought. I appreciate your sensitivity to coming to fullness where God has you.

Anonymous said...

JJJ,
Nice to see a new post up. I agree that deacons are to take the lead in serving the church, whatever that need may be. If it is not widows it might be maintaining the church webpage (or whatever). The deacons willingly fill this service role so the body can function properly.
It is great to hear how God is shaping you for that position at Bible Believers.

Josh said...

Thanks guys for posting. I am really working through this issue. I will be posting some more thoughts on this soon. I just finished up my SS lesson on this. Keep checking the blog and thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Josh, I appreciate your comments on this topic. My thoughts are this. I do not believe that deacons "are" leaders. I believe that as they serve those in need they "become" leaders simply because of their "influence". When you serve others whether it be the poor, or the elderly, or those who have made poor choices in life - when you serve them you have influence - In this light you then become a leader. We must "first" become servants. The title must never command or dictate authority in any way. I believe that in the church we have one leader - The Pastor - The greatest "servant" in the flock. In this he has great influence and the people follow ! Any Pastor, any deacon, any man or woman who attempts to lead without becoming a servant first to those they lead will only have trouble in this. The position does not grant this. Any man desiring to hold the title of deacon should not do so. I the same thought "any man" can serve like a deacon without the title. You don't need the title to be one ! In fact likely the best deacons (the best servants) may not be titled deacon because titles can corrupt. I did not say that they do corrupt but rather that titles "can corrupt" I have seen many men, many titled deacons corrupted by the title - It is very sad - good men, good servants who over time did not understand their rightful place in service to the Pastor, service to the flock.
Another thought - In selecting deacons this should be done by the Pastor as it is he who has the best understanding the best discernmant for who. The criteria must not be who would "make a good deacon" but rather who is "already" serving as a deacon ! Serving with his time, his resources, his family. I believe often that men who fix things around the church and do things are admired because of thier service. Yes this is a good thing to give of your time and skills - but a deacon is more. A man serving as a true deacon, a biblical deacon, first and without title is invovlved with "people" - ministry is always "people based" serving people.
One last thought - Even in serving in a people based fashion can be done improperly if it is done in self. Ministering to people must be what the Pastor needs - men can go of on their own out of self and do many good deeds but unless it is directed by the Holy Spirit then it becomes Christian do- goodery, how horrible ! Men led by the Holy Spirit have their eyes opened by Him and spend their resources in the right way, on the right people at the right time - Spirit led. One way (not the only way) to begin to measure this would be to ask the Pastor the value of a man in meeting the right needs in the church. The Pastor is in the best overall position to understand if the right needs are being met at the right time in the right way. That is how you find a man led by the spirit instead of self.
I would have been more comfortable in your written words if you had talked more about these things instead of the words lead and leadership. This words best fit the "result" of "Spirit led" service and sacrifice that meets the needs that the Pastor sees and in doing so is then "exactly" targeted to the often unseen needs of the body. Any man working "independently" from the direction and vision of the Pastor is not a deacon and should not be a deacon. A man like this must be corrected first in love and then in time if without proper response removed from the body so they do cause the weak sheep to stumble. Many a church has split because of this. One root cause is in the selection of deacons. In my mind it is not even the selection of the wrong men that does this but rather in having the improper criteria, the improper mindset as to what a deacon is. Weak men can be developed by the right teacher. If their hearts are humble they can be used and taught to serve. They need not be able to teach adult sunday school however in time they will likely naturally become and assist the Pastor in this way and other ways. Pastors don't need men to help them lead they need men led by the Spirit to serve - Service (servants) over time equals natural God given leaders to assist the Pastor in this way. Anything other has the initial appearance of good but in the end stinks of self and actually "promotes" the ego of good men turning them not only unuseful but also full of pride and a stumbling block to others and to the Pastor.

Even though I don't like your emphasis on "leaders" I do like and respect your focus on the criteria. Get this right and give it to our Lord and teach and monitor the criteria as unto "Him". Even or especially as worship unto "Him" then "He" will send the right men to be what your Pastor and body needs. Continue with your quest to first define and when you get it right He will pour out his blessing with the right men and the Godly wives to support them. - Dad Jones
(who retains the copyright to the book I just wrote above ! Ha !)
I love my eldest son who I am soooooo very proud of. - Dad