Wednesday, June 20, 2007

If You Don't Know the Word - Just Shut Up!


If any of you knew me in college (my sincere apologies if you did), you would remember a kid who knew nothing of the Word and promoted controversy everywhere I went because of it. I was one of those kids that spoke so confidently about what I knew nothing about. As I think back on those days, college seemed to be a breeding ground for such things. It seemed to be the cool thing to do - yell at those around you that didn't agree with your 100% accurate interpretation of a text that you had not studied.

As I think of the bigger picture in each of our current contexts, it does seem alarming that many men are still doing the same thing. This could be through preaching, teaching, writing, blogging, and such. This is harming our churches! Our people are not benefiting from such things.

I was reading in I Timothy 1 and was interested in this section:

3As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer 4nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God's work—which is by faith. 5The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6Some have wandered away from these and turned to meaningless talk. 7They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.

Men is Ephesus are trying to talk about the law, but have no real understanding of it. This promotes what? Paul says, "These promote controversies rather than God's work—which is by faith." These men wanted to be teachers of the Word, but did not know what they were talking about. Paul's charge to Timothy was to stay in Ephesus and command these men to shut up!

Don't miss-understand what I am saying, talking about the Word is good. Talking about the Word, stirring up controversies, standing dogmatic on something you may not know everything about, is bad. If you want to teach and preach - study the Word and know the Word. Otherwise, just shut up!

3 comments:

Tim Barker said...

good thoughts Jones. You've been keeping up with this blog thing. Good writing as well; as always I appreciate your perspective. Churchmen.

Anonymous said...

A few days ago, I read James, and 3:1 (don't many of you be teachers, you'll receive greater condemnation) thoroughly frightened me. It's a very serious thing to say, "this is the meaning of the Word of the Most High God". I almost felt like shutting down my blog, and keeping my mouth shut -- maybe I should. At any rate, I pray for God's grace to say things only as certainly as I have rock-solid biblical reasoning for them, something I can't always claim to have done in the past.

Thanks for the sobering reminder.

smlogan said...

jones,
i've spent many hours thinking similar thoughts on the same passage.

i do remember you in college (and it was frightening...though many would/still say the same of me).

if i wasn't a calvinist, many of those years would seem regrettable.
thankfully, the Spirit is still working in all of us - and He is noticeably evident in your life.

may the veil continually be lifted.
glad for His grace,
logan