Saturday, May 05, 2007

"Dulling" Iron (What is also known as Sharper Iron)


I was given the website to Sharper Iron by a friend lately to read some thoughts on Joe Zichterman. I went to the website to hear what all the fuss was about. As I read the thoughts of Fundamentalist after Fundamentalist, my stomach became upset. I truly felt sick after reading what many of these angry people were saying about a man that left their camp for another. Now, I do believe that if you were to ask any of these men they would tell you "we saying this out of love for the truth" or "were angry with sin. Not angry with Joe." After reading their thoughts on Angry Iron, I am not so sure.

Read the opening to who Sharper Iron says that they are and what they are trying to do. This is from their web page: "Welcome to SharperIron! SI is a blog and forum whose mission is to edify Christian brothers and sisters by providing a place to publish and discuss news and ideas from a Christian, Biblical, Fundamentalist worldview. Our burden is to bring fundamentalist Christian brothers and sisters together for the cause of edification."

They clearly state that their goal is to edify Fundamentalists! Clearly from their website and its content they are only concerned with edifying Fundamentalists! There seems to be no concern for the larger body of Christ. Which is why you read article after article about the sin of Joe Zichterman for leaving the realm of Fundamentalism. Does Christ call us to love the Fundamentalists or to love His body? Does Christ call us to reach out to the Fundamentalists or to reach out to His body? If we do not agree with someone's position or where they are headed, is the answer to put up a blog to rake them across the coals? It is no wonder people are leaving their movement. The thing I find the funniest is they hold conferences and discussions all the time asking, "Why are people leaving Fundamentalism?" Stop hating people! Stop separating over nonsense! (ok, I drifted from talking about SI into the broader discussion of Fundamentalism. I don't want to go there.)

I will post more on the specific subject of Joe Zichterman later, but I wanted to share some thoughts on this website.

***Disclaimers:

1. I prayed for grace to say the things I said in love. It is always hard to criticize a group of people for criticizing others.
2. I do not want to have discussion on this blog about Fundamentalism. Please do not post comments about it. I prefer comments about specifically Sharper Iron and what they are posting about Joe.

11 comments:

David said...

J3,
shootin' straight my brother. i don't think we have to be as worried about criticizing people for criticizing: that'd pretty much define Jesus' relationship with the Pharisees! Good company, I'd say.
And, unfortunately, I try never to go to sharper iron as it really inflames my flesh. i just get angry. what a waste. here's j.zich going out, working hard raising a family (army?), going to school, studying church life, and they're going to shoot crap? Get real.
i'm getting worked up and i haven't even read their stuff. i'm interested to see where this conversation heads, though.

Russell W. White said...

J cubed,

I'm not sure if you were aware, but a comparative situation, at least from the perspective of each movement, is occuring our sphere. Dr. Francis Beckwith has resigned from the presidency of ETS in order to return to his R.C. roots (no, this is not a for shadowing of my life for those who practice the slippery slope fallacy!). With these occuring concurently, I would be interested in analyzing the responses of both movements to these "falling aways."

RW

Nate Mihelis said...

Gotta admit i'm with David. I try to avoid frequenting the site for sake of my sanctification (what little I have). But since I've read some of what they wrote, I'd add to your accurate assesement regarding their stated purpose that it's not only sad to see it limited to fundamentalism, but even more disconcerting to determine just how the discussion pertaining to Joe falls under the ruberic of edification.

Anonymous said...

Jones,

What is going on my brother? Have you taped any ankles lately? Its nice to see that you still keep a low profile and avoid controversy. Hey do you remember when you had too many vicadin (I think you actually had a prescription for it this time) and Casey put that mouse in your bed? All I remember is a naked man running down the hall yelling "it touched my foot." Anyways, sorry for getting off topic. I haven't set up my blog yet but email me at stoversinpoland@gmail.com

holla at ya boy,

Stover

Anonymous said...

I too made the mistake of going to that sharperiron thread, and left as livid as Luther at a Tetzel hawking. But as little as that did for my sanctification, I have to say I have gotten some good spiritual proift out of SharperIron -- remember when they were all in a wad about Piper's having a rapper at his church? Well, through that shameful discussion, I ended up meeting rapper Shai Linne (by e-mail), who eventually sent me three phenomenal albums from Lampmode records (one of his own, two from Timothy Brindle). Just goes to show you the unlikely means that God can use in your sanctification.

But anyway, after the Zich. thread, I swore of SI again for a good long while. It's just not good for my blood pressure.

Josh said...

Thank you all for your thoughts. I could not agree more.

Josh said...

By the way... I love Shai Linne's music. I have been listening to the CD over and over. Great stuff!

christina said...

Josh,
Nate here - my take on the whole zich... "case" may differ from the fundies that I go to church with. But who are we to judge one man's approach over another's? Again I don't go to seminary, I'm just a financial planner, so I may be off my rocker with my thoughts. Why is it that we are excommmunicating him (for a lack of a better word) I have read those blogs and I am trying to put myself in joe's shoes - he's making a decision that HE thinks is right so leave the man alone. Again I go back to judging people, that's what I don't like about true fundies. I think that Rodney King put it best "can't we all just get along" so please continue with your thoughts. I have great respect for you especially since you know my ankles (thanks Jason for that reminder)

Josh said...

Nate
I really appreciate your thoughts and stopping by the blog. Great to hear from you. (by the way, I don't know there condition today, but you had very beautiful ankles!)

Chris Bruno said...

I wanted to stay out of this discussion, but that last comment was a little creepy.

Lou Martuneac said...

Hello:

I was linked to your site. I can appreciate some of the frustration you feel about SI. Although I do not share or agree with all of your comments.

At SI and other sites there are at time more sparks flying than sharpening being done.

I would invite you to take a peek at SI on Wednesday morning (5/23). You might get indigestion, but if you keep the Pepto handy you might find some benefit in the lead article by yours truly.

Kind regards,

LM

PS: Feel free to peruse my site.